close search panel

Information for Veterinary Professionals

As a licensed member, you will find helpful information in this section to assist you with making changes to your licence and managing the accreditation of a veterinary facility. You will also find information concerning professional conduct and quality practice. 

Changing your Licence Type or Status

All practising veterinarians in Ontario must be licensed by the College. The following types of licenses are issued:

  • General - may practise veterinary medicine in Ontario, without restriction on scope or place of practice
  • Restricted - similar to General, but a Committee under the Veterinarians Act placed conditions or limitations on licence
  • Educational - must be enrolled in postgraduate studies in veterinary medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College
  • Postgraduate/Resident - must be enrolled as an intern, resident or Doctor of Veterinary Science student at the Ontario Veterinary College
  • Academic - must hold a full-time teaching or research appointment of professional rank at the Ontario Veterinary College
  • Public Service - must be employed as a veterinarian by the Government of Canada
  • Short Term - a 30-day restricted licence requiring supervision and an appointment or invitation

To make changes to your licence type, you must submit an application for licensure form.

Resigning your licence

Following resignation, your licence will be terminated and you may no longer practise veterinary medicine in Ontario. Those licensed members who have been in good standing for 25 years or more are eligible to apply for Emeritus Status with the College. For further information, please see the licensure policies.

To resign your licence, you must complete and submit the Licence Resignation and Application for Emeritus Status.